A WALK ON THE WILDSIDE---PAUL FOSTER

hit counter

Sunday 29 July 2012

Badgers at dusk!!

 With the weather conditions being favourable,I decided on a return to the local Badger sett that I had discovered a few weeks previous.Arriving an hour before sunset, I took up  position concealed within my small bag hide that I use for these close encounters.The wind was blowing south westerly straight into my face,perfect!!Time quicklly passed with the sun setting low to the West.Suddenly without warning an adult appeared at the sett entrance sniffing the air.
 Keeping perfectly still and not reaching for the camera,I let him become accustomed to his surroundings,letting him gain confidence that any danger was not present.He slowly edged   nearer,constantly stopping and listening for the slightest noise.I knew that to depress the shutter button now would be fatal and would have him immediately scurrying back to the  safety of the sett.
 Soon a part grown cub decided to venture out into the late evening light to be joined shortly after by 2 more.
 These 2 began to play and push one another about snapping and biting in turn.
 Some serious wrestling entailed as they jumped and frolicked less than 20 metres from where I was hidden.I was frozen with excitement as I watched this superb insight into the life of this usually nocturnal animal!They carried on with their antics for the next 5 mins at least, each trying to get the upper hand.It was hard to maintain focus with the camera , with their constant movement and low light conditions,but I tried my best!
In total there were 3 cubs and an adult within this familly and they soon ambled off to begin their nights foraging and feeding amongst the surrounding fields and streams.I knew I had witnessed one of those special moments one gets as a nature photographer and I  let them get well away from me, before I stealthily retreated to the bottom of the bank.I didn`t want them to know they had been observed for the last 20 mins and as Hugh Falkus once said `only if you can watch Badgers without them knowing you`ve been there can an observer call himself a true naturalist`.Well I`d like to think I hadn`t caused them any duress as I`m sure I`ll be back to witness these enthralling animals again!! Thankyou for looking in and I hope you enjoyed the images!!!

6 comments:

  1. Wonderful images Paul,and must have been a wonderful experience to be so close to the badgers.Great skills and patience have been fully put to the test to achieve these images.Very well done Paul.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some nice 'crisp' images here Paul, the top two in particular. You're really lucky to know this location which you say you discovered....WOW.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paul.I certainly did enjoy your images and account of your very special encounter with the badger family. You have put a lot of effort into obtaining these brilliant shots of the badgers. Hugh Falkus is right and you are very definitely a true naturalist. Very well done Paul...we must meet up sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such wonderful badger shots - that must take some willpower to not start clicking straight away - fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice Badgers images Paul and in good light too.

    ReplyDelete