A WALK ON THE WILDSIDE---PAUL FOSTER

hit counter

Saturday 21 March 2020

Cyprus spring (Mandria)

Well ,what a week it has been.I had to bring forward my annual birdwatching/photography trip to Cyprus, from the end of this month to the 11th of March.The main reason, was work commitments.I wasn't too bothered really, but hey ho, so it was....Little did I know what was in store!

All started well on my arrival to the island, apt reached safely, after 2 bus journeys, photography gear all sorted and ready for the coming 2 week stay...bliss.

Day 1 was just local as usual, around the foothills of the Akamas peninsular.It was a late start due to supermarket provisions and more importantly...the weather.,it was throwing down!Undetered I ventured out and explored the usual haunts.Plenty of Chiffchaffs,a few Black Redstarts,all the finches were noted.Not unusual really, as it was quite early.Wheatears had been reported on the coast as well as Blue rock thrush and good numbers of Swallows and house martins.

The rain showers held off, which allowed a couple of hrs of exploring.I knew there would be a few Orchids about, so I had a good mooch for these, finding a few different species.Not really well up on identification of these Wonderfull plants,I had bought a new Book, 'Orchids of Cyprus' so I  would try to id these at a later day!

The rain came back with a vengeance,so I called it a day and returned to the comfort of the apartment!
I never saw many butterflies in my limited stay on the island, but this  Paphos blue, which is endemic to Cyprus, landed for a short while!


I think this is ranunculus asiaticus
I
A few crag Martin were mixed in with the masses of swallow and house Martin.

Purple Iris

Taking a well earned rest and preening, ready for the long arduous journey North,though some do stay to breed here!



I think this is one of the monkey orchids,(Orchis Italica) that abound here!!


So I hope that you enjoyed my short blog about Cyprus, I will prepare the next instalment shortly...Stay safe and keep well!!


No comments:

Post a Comment