A WALK ON THE WILDSIDE---PAUL FOSTER

hit counter

Saturday 21 March 2020

Cyprus (Anarita Park) day 2

My second day on the island ,I was greeted with plenty of sunshine's an early start and 50 min drive, found me at one of my favourite places,Anarita Park.An Eastern Black Eared Wheatear was present, sitting up quite nicely on the thistles!


He wasn't too bothered about my presence, and I had a good 5 mins in his company from within the car!



Another Wheatear appeared later, which had me flummoxed with the id.I was to find out that evening, that it was a female Finsch,s which are known to over winter on Cyprus annually.

A female finches' wheatear, my first one seen!

Again from the car, I was allowed great views and made the most of it, with the camera!

 Wheatears arrive en masse towards the middle of March,with Isabelline, being one of the first.There were really good numbers around the coast and I found this one inland.Note the very erect posture and black alula,contrasting with the pale wing!Good ID qualities!
 A Tawny Pipit was searching the short vegetation,accompanied by a Woodlark.The 2 of them were never too far apart!Good numbers of both are annual here, on migration!
Woodlark.
With it being mid March,species were rather limited to say the least.I was looking forward to the following week, when Buntings,Harriers,Shrikes and Pipits would be in evidence....Little did I know what was in store!!!So thanks again for dropping by and another blog will follow shortly!!!Keep well and safe!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment