A WALK ON THE WILDSIDE---PAUL FOSTER

hit counter

Tuesday 10 March 2020

Cyprus feb 2020 (Evretou Dam)

Evretou Dam near to Polis,is my local patch at Cyprus.It is quite a good area for raptors, as it is at the bottom of a large valley.Long Legged Buzzard are usually in evidence there,


At the moment,all the dams are overflowing, after the tremendous amount of rain that was put down over the winter period.This is the first time I have witnessed water crashing out of the spillway!
A Sparrowhawk gave me a quick flypast overhead, not common by any means!

You do get over wintering Hen Harriers in Cyprus and I was very fortunate to watch this female, constantly searching a small hillside about 70 metres from the car.It was a pleasure my wife was with me too,to enjoy the marvellous views, as she searched the area for lizards and small birds!
Stonechat are ever present here throughout the winter.It seems they cover every valley, low lying areas and coastal paths.They are popping up everywhere, and so photogenic too!
Now an interesting Grey Shrike ws discovered by local birder Colin Richardson at Lara Bay, on the Akamas Peninsular.It turned out to be a Steppe Grey Shrike,with this being the 18th record for Cyprus.By the way,Colin has just brought out a book on,' The Birds Of Cyprus',well worth buying for the visiting birder!.
As I write this blog, I believe it is still in the same area where it was discovered!!
Again at Evretou, a pair of Green Sandpipers were patrolling the margins of the reservoir, this was one of them!!
A new bird for me,was a water pipit.This was one of 4 that I discovered in the margins!

A pretty non descript bird at the moment, but when in breeding plumage are quite different with a pinkish tinge to the breast!
Thank you so much for looking in,and there will be more from Southern Cyprus in the comingg weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment