A WALK ON THE WILDSIDE---PAUL FOSTER

hit counter

Sunday 6 October 2019

Sept in Cyprus

Unfortunately on my first morning out,I was to be greeted by the local Cypriot hunters, who do not discriminate about where and what they shoot,I had forgotten that it was Sunday, and It sounded like bonfire night around my local reservoir,honestly!After much deliberation,I decided to venture out and see what, if anything, was about.The Eastern side of the reservoir seemed quiet compared with other areas, so I took my chance!

This guy was definitely giving me the evil eye, though I was a good 500 yds away!!

 Moving on away from the local hunters, a  few birds were on the move.A nice Cyprus Wheatear showed quite well,of which there were many!!
 Red backed shrike were in attendance further up the track too!
 Whilst sat in my usual spot by the reservoir, this juvenile Honey buzzard gave me a nice fly past.It's surprising what actually comes along, when you are settled and patient!
 A real rarity in Britain,the Turtle dove landed 50 metres away ,atop a prickly mediterranean hawthorn.Lets hope, like the many other birds, it survived the gangs of hunters, that were marauding around the hillsides!!
 A common migrant over in Cyprus is the Whinchat.Mid September seems peak period for these moorland birds.A few pairs are still hanging on, in my local area, but they really have diminished in numbers!!!

It was always magical to hear the flutey calls of the Bee-eaters as they passed over over your head.You would always hear them first, before you saw them.Usually in small flocks and sometimes, up to 30 birds would pass over.Always a favourite of the many wires that criss cross the farmlands, they would perch up for a well earned rest on their Southern journey!

1 comment:

  1. Paul.A nice selection you have shown.What a shame that both you and the birds have to contend with the hunters. I see you are now posting larger images which look good.Nice chatting earlier and I will keep in touch.

    ReplyDelete