A WALK ON THE WILDSIDE---PAUL FOSTER

hit counter

Monday 2 April 2018

Cyprus March 2018.

A few images below of my recent trip to Cyprus,one of my favourite birding destinations.After meeting up with my good friend Albert Stoecker we set off early for Phassouri roadbeds near to Akrotiri.A few new hides have been installed on the reserve, which in my opinion have been built to the wrong design,I believe plans are in order to rectify this!After an hour or so there, we called in at Bird Life Cyprus' AGM,where I renewed my annual subscription and listened to various talks on the future of the organisation.A very entertaining couple of hrs, with a committee who are totally dedicated to the cause of bird protection.Please watch this short documentaryWings on the wind
Anyway,Glossy Ibis were present on arrivals nice start to the day!
3 Garganey also greeted us in front of the hide too!
Aren't the males stunning!
A quick fly-by Marsh area patrolled the reserve, though always distant!
On the way home, we called into Mandria, were this short eared owl was spooked by a dog walker,a really good bird for Cyprus.In fact 3 others were located at Akrotiri  the same morning!!
The highlight was this male Pallid harrier, briefly perched on a rock about 70 metres away.
Again Marsh harriers were present around the agricultural fields,looking for prey
I never tire of watching Harriers on the wings graceful with wings up turned!
a few times he came quite close!!
And of course the ever present corn bunting,siging from the tops of the bushes!


No comments:

Post a Comment