A WALK ON THE WILDSIDE---PAUL FOSTER

hit counter

Wednesday 8 November 2017

More Hawfinch

 A 5'oclock  alarm call had me up and loading the car for another trip to the Hawfinch site.I like to give myself plenty of time to make sandwiches/flask and check the photography gear!
Scrapping the ice off the windscreen, was a first for me in a long time, but a cool clear morning lay in wait, my favourite conditions.

Arriving on site for 7.00 the sun was just starting to appear over the moorlands to the East,hopes were high for some better images of the finches'.It was going up for 8 o'clock, when I heard the short zip of the Hawfinch and on scanning around, found this female high in the tree tops.She only stayed for about 40 secs, but enough time for me to grab a few record shots and 20 secs of video.

She was soon joined by another bird 30 mins later but they were so difficult to gain clear, unobstructed shots of.I did manage a few later on mid morning, which I was quite pleased with, but I know that future visits should produce better images, when most of the leaves disappear from the hornbeam trees.As soon as they head for these to feed, they blend in with the foliage and sit tight, gorging on the abundant seeds.

It was a beautiful morning to be in the vicinity of these not so common birds, but the early rise and hour's drive is always worth the effort!Glad that you popped by to view the blog and I'll try to keep a more up to date account, of my wanderings with the camera!







No comments:

Post a Comment